Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Book Review- "Bizarre Bazaar"

Yesterday, I received a book in the mail entitled “Bizarre Bazaar” by Greg der Ananian. It was billed as a craft book full of crafts that “aren’t your granny’s crafts”. I only paid a couple of bucks for it on Amazon. Com.

Greg Der Ananian is a crafter from Boston who started the Bizarre Bazaar, which is a craft festival up there. The festival has made it to other cities as well, and apparently continues to grow. He got together with some of the Bizarre Bazaar crafters and created this book. I was really excited when this book came in. However, upon reading it, I found the crafts a little too “punk rock” for me. I never thought I’d say that. Many of the crafts are poorly executed, and many of them are for more advanced crafters, or for people with more patience than I have. I also found the repeated references to the author’s homosexuality to be very tedious. We get it- you’re gay. I remember that from the first eight times you mentioned it. I don’t need to constantly be reminded of it.

Luckily, there are some tutorials in the book that are useful- I can make cute craft totes that I can possibly sell, a change purse, a wallet, a cute card, and there are a couple more projects that I’d consider doing.

I found many of the crafts to be advanced, or made from materials that aren’t that easy to find. The Dirty Pillow is a nice concept, but way out of my league. The vinyl cuffs are really nice, but they’re made from colored vinyl records, and where on earth would you find those these days? The Trashy Quilt is, well, trashy, and not in an endearing way. It is seriously made out of trash. There is a reason that trash is trash. And the anarchy soap…lame. Everyone knows anarchists don’t bathe. Just ask Rik from The Young Ones.

Anyway, I’m really glad I only spent a few bucks on this book. If you are looking for a good craft book with crafts that are sort of outside the normal realm of crafting, I wouldn’t suggest you buy this book. Look elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment