Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A (kind of) fat/health rant

I don't rant often here, so cut me some slack on this one...

So, I'm trying this better healthier greener living thing. The green stuff I had covered, but healthy, not so much. I don't eat that badly but i'm sure I could make changes and cut backs. So, I'm trying for the 29887545788th time to cut out sodas. So far, so good. Day three and I don't want one! Plus, I'm eating even healthier (which is so much easier to do with all the yummy summer fruit!) and I've found a new liking for working out. I did 3 miles in 30 minutes on the elliptical on Monday, weights yesterday, and I plan to do 3 miles again today! I've also rediscovered my passion for the challenge of cooking healthy alternatives to the unhealthy stuff I crave!!

(cue rant...)
Please understand that my goal is not to get "skinny", but healthy. I am happy with myself I'm pretty fat-positive. I think we have the wrong idea when it comes to beauty and health regarding body size. There is nothing wrong with being thin, but I don't think it's something a naturally more filled out person, like myself, should aspire to. Some people are naturally thin and some, like me, are built like Russian gymnasts. I'm naturalky more muscular, and I may never be thin like I was when I was a starving teen, but I can strive to eat better and work out without it becoming an unhealthy obsession. An by the way, just because you are skinny doesn't mean you are healthy, just like being chunky or big doesn't always mean you are unhealthy. I have great blood pressure and a good cholesterol level, for instance.

I also get aggravated at fat-positive women who shun diets and excersise because they think it's being done to lose weight. There is nothing wrong with wanting to live a healthy lifestyle. Again, as long as it's being done for the right reasons. Let's NOT strive to lose half our body weight for some dude/girl, or some silly outfit or event, and instead focus on getting healthy so we can live past 55. And let's not revoke fat-positive cards because someone wants to live healthy. Sound good?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Dude cutting out soda is REALLY hard for the first month but after that trust me you kinds just DON'T want to drink them. And If/When you do it is like 2 sips and your sick of it. I think I am going on about 2 years or more of "not drinking soda" I will have one maybe once every 3-4 months but that is about it.
    PS since you are uber north if you want a work our buddy ;) txt me I just have weird hours because of work

    -Dena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dena, you rule. If you wanna go to the gym with me and Allen, let me know, because he has an unlimited guest pass and I'd love for you to come with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally has to agree with the above soda comment. Every great once in awhile, I think I wanna try one again. Two sips in, I generally start to feel like I'm going to explode and decide a nice iced green tea with some honey tastes sooooo much better. Also, I love your rant. And your healthy curves. And your blog. So, take that, Jiggity Saw. <3

    ReplyDelete