Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Candy, candy, candy, I can't let you go...

As promised, here is my filled candy tutorial!

You will need a filled candy mold tray (or any other shape of deep tray you wanna try), a small paint brush that has not been in paint, a melty chocolate that will harden when cooled, such as the Wilton Candy Melts or some chocolate/almond/vanilla bark, your choice of filling (today, used Nutella and hazelnuts, not pictured, because I decided upon them after taking this photo and I too lazy to retake the pic), and some sort of bag from which to squeeze the melted chocolate.  I used a pastry bag and an icing tip, but you could also use a sandwich bag with a tiny piece of a bottom corner snipped off.
















I melted the candy and put it into the bag.  A good trick for this is to put the icing tip into the pastry bag , fold the tip once against the bag, and put the bag into a tall glass.  Fold the top of the bag over the top of the glass.  This helps keep the bag in place while you it.  If you're just using a sandwich bag, put the bag into the glass, open it, and fold its top over the glass top.  Don't overfill the bag.  You only need a little chocolate.

If you look here, you can see the icing tip in the bottom of the glass.  It's folded against the bag so that the chocolate won't drip out immediately.

Squeeze a small dollop into each mold cavity.
















Using your paint brush, brush the chocolate up the side of each cavity all the way up to the top.  When all are filled and brushed, lift the mold and look under it to make sure you didn't make any "bald" spots while brushing up.  The entire cavity should be well covered.  Put this into the refrigerator.
















When the first part has hardened, prepare your filling.  I just melted chocolate chips and poured pecan pieces in, then mixed.  I would suggest putting this filling in another pastry bag to make it easier to control.  Add the filling to the cooled mold, but be sure not to fill it all the way.  We still need room for the bottom layer of chocolate!  As you can see, I kinda got carried away on a couple before the chocolate went on.
















Once all cavities are filled, pipe on your last layer of chocolate.  Sorry, I don't have a picture of this.  Put them into the refrigerator again to harden.

The peanut butter ones I made were FANTASTIC!  These were also good.  On a side note, I think the candy melts taste better than the almond bark.  But that's just my humble opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment