Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Blog combination and gluten free baking

I have come to a decision to combine my cooking and craft blogs right here into this one!  I sporadically update both, so maybe combining them will keep everyone interested!!


So, as my first official combining post, I will post a recipe from my newest baking experiment- gluten-free baking!


I have a friend who found out a while back that she is allergic to gluten.  SO MANY things have gluten in them.  Boo!  So she had to make a serious lifestyle change.  We just started getting together for craft dates, and since we both love cupcakes, I thought I'd try to make some gluten free ones.  They do make mixes for gf cupcakes, which I have used for another friend that also is allergic to gluten.  However, I like a challenge and I like to brag that I make stuff from scratch, so I wanted to try my hand at gluten-free baking.  Aaaaand my first cupcakes turned out great!!  I was sorta scurrrred that they would come out wrong.




They didn't.  They were amazing, my gluten allergic friend loved them and took some home, and my friend who is not allergic to gluten said they were better than those she's had from the gluten free mix you can buy in stores.  That made me very happy!
















The batter is very thick and almost stretchy, but that's okay.  Also, I filled the cups up a little too much (as per usual!!).
















Here is what they look liked baked and unfrosted.  The consistency was almost like a brownie, but not quite as dense.  And yes, they are on my dryer.  My kitchen is tiny, okay?
















The vegan icing was runny, and I will do regular buttercream from now on.  


Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee Icing
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com



3/4 rounded cup sorghum flour
3/4 rounded cup potato starch, cornstarch or tapioca starch
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup organic cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 cup warm coffee (not too hot or it will make the potato starch gluey)
1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Replacer beaten with 1/4 cup warm water
3 tablespoons light olive oil
2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon light tasting rice vinegar

Whisk the dry ingredients together.  Combine the wet ingredients and incorporate into the dry.  Using an electric mixer, mix the batter until it is no longer clumpy.  If the batter starts to climb the beaters, just lift them a little to get the batter back down with the rest.  

Using an ice cream scoop (that's what I do, anyhow), fill the cupcake cups about 2/3 of the way.  Bake in the oven for 15-22 minutes (my gas oven took 22 minutes).  Immediately transfer to a wire cooling rack, as the cupcakes may get soggy if they are left in the pan too long.

For the icing:
2 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar
2-3 tablespoons Spectrum Organic Shortening or vegan margarine
2-4 ounces cold coffee, as needed
1 teaspoon bourbon vanilla


Starting with the least amount of liquid, beat the sugar to incorporate the shortening, coffee and vanilla. if you need more liquid, add a small amount at a time. beat for two minutes or so until smooth.


If you need to stiffen the frosting, add a little more confectioner's sugar.  Chill in the refrigerator about an hour before using.  When you add it to the cupcakes, it may be a little drippy, but it will dry and hasn't seemed to soak into the cupcakes.  It turned out pretty good.



No comments:

Post a Comment