Monday, September 5, 2011

Cauliflower Gorgonzola Soup

Seems this blog is becoming more cooking and less crafting, eh?  Nah.  I'm working on some cute onesies that I'll show you soon!

Today, it was 87 degrees.  Downright chilly, so I thought I'd make some soup to keep me warm.

Okay.  Not really.  87 is still pretty warm, but it's about 20 degrees cooler than it has been the past couple of weeks, so I'm not complaining!  I decided I wanted some kind of soup for my lunch this week, so I whipped up this amazing soup!  I love creamy soups, especially potato, and this is about as close to potato as you can get, without adding all the starch!

Cauliflower Gorgonzola soup




















(Photo courtesy of splendora.com)


1/2 head of cauliflower, crumbled up
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp margarine
1 cup veggie broth
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup heavy creme (I used half and half)
1 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup gorgonzola (or bleu if you'd rather) cheese
1 strip of bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional.  I have never used bacon, but actually may next time!)

Pour your olive oil into a sauce pan and add onion, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf.  Saute on medium heat for about 3 minutes.  Add the cauliflower and margarine and lower the heat to low.  Sautee this for about 3 more minutes, making sure the onion does not burn.  If it starts to look burny, go ahead and stop.

Add the veggie broth and cream.  Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.  Remove the bay leaf and pour into a food processor/blender.   Add gorgonzola and blend until smooth.  Afterwards, you can add a little more gorgonzola.  I put about 1/4 of a cup more in and just stirred it until it was melted.  Garnish with bacon and a little more gorgonzola if you'd like.

This soup can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days, but I guarantee it won't last that long.  I wouldn't keep it for more than like 5 days, though.  I had some for a week once and it started to smell kinda funky.

No comments:

Post a Comment