Saturday, September 3, 2011

Enchilada Goodness

I love enchiladas.  They are one of my very, very favorite foods.  I'm not a huge fan of meat in my enchiladas, either.  Just the cheese.  Cheese, sauce, and onions.  YUM.

I used to make the most ABYSMAL enchiladas.  All burnt and not melty, but greasy.  They fell apart while baking.  So sad.  I tried a few times and gave up.  Then, I just started thinking about my enchiladas when I ordered any at a restaurant.  What was I doing differently?

One trick I figured out is to heat the tortillas up for about 15 seconds in the microwave and then sauce them a little before you fill them.  Another trick is to put the filling on one side, and then roll.  I was putting filling in the middle.

I learned to bake them in a pool of enchilada sauce, and put a little sauce on top before I bake.  I bake them for about ten minutes and then I put cheese and more sauce on.  Then they go in for 5 more minutes.  When I take them out, they look like this.
















Fantastic.  The toothpicks, by the way, are so that I can tell mine apart from Allen's.  I put shredded chicken in his and onions and cheese in mine.  And while they're not quite as good as the ones you get in a restaurant, they're damned close!

No comments:

Post a Comment