Monday, October 10, 2011

Caramel Apple Bites

It's been a while since I posted a tasty treat!

I saw these beauties over on Elsie's Larson's blog, A Beautiful Mess (http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/).  Check her out, she is my flame, my muse (haha South Park reference there, sorry, couldn't help it!)!  But seriously, she is VERY inspiring and I admire her ability to blog EVERY day about just whatever.  I always feel like I have to have made something to blog about.  Maybe I'll take a page from her blog (HA!  I kill me!) and just blog about whatever I want, along with crafty and tasty goodness!!  Look out.

Okay, now that I've gotten that verbal diarrhea out of the way.....

Caramel Apple Bites!!
You'll need:

2 large apples (I used Golden Delicious)
3 and a half or so caramel apple wrappers  (these things are a little tricky to work with.  They're super stretchy and easy to get all over the place.  Sigh.)
scissors or a knife to cut the wrappers
wax or parchment paper
tooth picks
chocolate to drizzle
nuts  or something to sprinkle
















And, apparently, a Crispin hard apple cider in case you get thirsty...

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees (this is not in Elsie's instructions, I don't think, but do it, cause I said to). Cut the apple into quarters and using a melon baller, scoop out balls of apple.

















Cut the caramel wrapper into small pieces.  I tried doing this with a knife but it did not work.  I ended up using scissors.  Put the pieces over the apple balls.  Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the caramel is starting to melt.  You don't want it to melt all the way, though.  That happened on a few of mine.  They should look like this when they come out of the oven:
















Stick a toothpick in each... and now comes the messy fun part.  Drizzle chocolate over the pieces and sprinkle them with nuts, sprinkles, candy bits, etc.  I used nuts.  I shoulda done my Halloween sprinkles! Ah well, I suppose that's a good excuse to do more!!
















Refrigerate for at least an hour.  Eat em up.  Fast.  Because the acid from the apple's insides will melt the caramel off.

No comments:

Post a Comment