Saturday, January 28, 2012

Puff Pastries

I haven't had the chance to cook or bake in a while, and I miss it.  So I spent today doing crafty things and baking.

I tried my hand at these French puff pastries.  They didn't turn out bad, but they do taste really eggy.  To balance that out, I whipped together some garlic and herb butter, and it makes them better.  Maybe next time, I'll try with less eggs.  Anyway, here is the recipe:

















1 cup water
1 stick of butter
1 cup flour
1 cup of eggs (4 eggs)
1 pinch of salt
1/2 cup finely grated cheese (I used Gruyere)

The butter in the picture above is hiding in the blue grater.

Preheat your oven to 425 F.

In a medium pot, bring the water and butter to a simmer.
















Add the flour and with a wooden spoon or spatula, stir very quickly in one direction. You'll see the dough start to form.  Add the cheese and give it a good stir.  Remove from heat and let it cool about 10 minutes.
















Mix the eggs and salt in quickly.  The dough should look slippery.
















Spoon the dough into a bag and work it toward one of the corners with your hands.
















Snip the corner and pipe the dough onto parchment paper.  Flatten any peaks, as they may burn.
















Bake for 10 minutes at 425 F, and then 18-30 at 325 F until golden brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment