Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Anglophile

I’m a huge Anglophile. I love a lot of things about the UK. Their snacks, their accents, their sayings, their funny little ways.. and probably most of all, their TV.


Steve Coogan’s Alan Partridge character has a special place in my heart. I think he’s so funny, so when I found this cross stitch pattern by 8bitNorthStitch, I knew I had to do it.

Another good British show that I could watch over and over again is Broadchurch. David Tenant is just… perfect, and so is Olivia Coleman. Oh, and Jodi Whittaker. I love them all, and that series was gut-wrenching and perfectly cast and acted. David Tenant plays Alec Hardy, a cranky asshole Scottish detective who obviously hates life. He has a few kind of funny lines, although the show is a crime drama and not a comedy, but one that stood out to me was “BLOODY TWITTAH!” Not because it’s funny, but because the way he said it was funny. I was making a cross stitch guy for a friend of mine, when I realized I’d accidentally made Alec Hardy, so I decided to keep him for myself and redo the friend’s design, and to add “Bloody Twittah!” under it. I made another that says “Millah!” because that’s what he calls Olivia Coleman’s character, and he just says it in a way that’s so mockable. Also, since Twitter was purchased by a lunatic, and he renamed it, this one contains a bit of history too.




Finally, my two favorite alcoholic drug users- Pasty and Eddie from Absolutely Fabulous. I discovered this show in the mid-nineties, I think on Comedy Central. My boyfriend at the time told me it glorifies drug use. If he had watched it, he would understand it was meant to make fun of rich, shallow drug users, and that it did not AT ALL glamorize or glorify drug and alcohol abuse. I still love it.
These are not all of my British TV cross stitch pieces, and I have a lot in the pipeline too...

No comments:

Post a Comment