Sunday, October 22, 2023

Snarky Stitches

I feel like I hear this a lot from fellow stitchers- they spend a lot of time on a piece, and the recipient doesn't seem to appreciate it at all. I say, fuck those people. If they don't appreciate a hand-made gift, they're just garbage. Well, that may be a bit harsh. I have made my friends and family stitched gifts for a while now. They always say they love them, and I often find them hanging on walls of the recipients (Except for MY MOTHER WHO YOU WOULD THINK WOULD LOVE THAT SORT OF THING!), and if it seems they don't appreciate them, well, then lesson learned, and they won't get another. I love finding things I've made people years ago, especially when I had forgotten about them! And, to my mom's defense, she has hung every stitched ornament on her Christmas tree that I have made her. I love that the world of needlepoint is full of wonderfully snarky asshole designers, because I can make really cool stitched gifts for my friends, and can guarantee most will be hung up (except for my sister's because her husband, while he appreciates the humor, is all fancy and is like "Please don't hang the 'Have a Nice Dump' cross stich in our new fancy house". But hey, he takes GOOD care of my sister, so I can let that slide). Here are some good ones I've made in the past. I made this for my former high priestess, who has since passed away. I would love to have it back, but I"m sure her family burned all her witchy stuff, sadly.
I found this one on Pinterest. I gave it to my ex's mother when they left to move to Canada (they couldn't sell so they had to come back but she still has it). I just wanted to give her something she'd appreciate and I screwed around and didn't get to make her something new, but she loved this one.
Another I found on Pinterest. Isn't this frame cool? I thrifted it.
I can't remember where I got this one... but for me, "it tracks", as the younguns say.
I did this one ages ago. If there is one thing I absolutely cannot do right (there are millions of things), it's doing a "mat" to frame my cross stitches. I only really do that when I can't find a frame the right size or I've fucked up and cut the fabric too small for a hoop or a decent frame. I have a Cricut now, though, so maybe I can figure out how to put that to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment